Here are a few of my recommendations for books dedicated to writing. Please feel free to share your suggestions as well.
- The Elements of Style by William Strunk, Jr. – A classic. This is a must-have reference for all writers. A simple and logical approach to the basic prinicples of composition, grammar, word usage, and writing style.
- On Writing by Stephen King – This book is split into two sections: the first section tells about the life of Stephen King, and the section section is dedicated to the craft of creative writing. An inspirational and eye-opening read.
- The First Five Pages: A Writer’s Guide to Staying Out of the Rejection Pile by Noah Lukeman – Noah is a literary agent, and he gives valuable insight into the world of publishing. The First Five Pages discusses: the primary problems found in most beginning writers’ works and how to improve in those areas, the writing of good dialogue, and the development of characters, setting, and pacing, among other things.
- The Plot Thickens: 8 Ways to Bring Fiction to Life by Noak Lukeman – Another good one by Noak Lukeman. The first three chapters of this book focus on character, and the last half of the book discusses the building of narrative, suspense, and conflict in your story.
- Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life by Anne Lamott – An inspirational read for any aspiring writer. A positive and motivational read dedicated to the craft of creative writing.